DELIVERING BABIES, GYNECOLOGIC SURGERY, MENOPAUSE
Most patients who've known Dr. Rebecca Lee Perlow throughout their lives, think, she just does deliveries. However, she is Board Certified by the ACOG, and is a Specialist in Obstetrics & Gynecology encompassing all of women's health care issues.
Dr. Perlow performs comprehensive Obstetrical care, meaning she sees you throughout your prenatal care and for your postpartum care until 6 to 8 weeks after you deliver your baby.
Well woman exam but not so well?
She also performs well woman exams that cover Pap smears, mammograms, and a full physical exam.
She belongs to the North American Menopause Society (NAMS) and loves to help you with your changes towards a fulfilling and wonderful menopausal experience.(popup definitions of menopause and perimenopause on video blogs)
Teen women, generally start seeing her, in their Senior Year of High School, in preparation for going to College or working. We establish a trust filled relationship and tether them to a board certified OB/GYN through e-mail to allow a continuous flow of expert knowledge as they forge into their life adventures which are not limited to the United States. She has patients from all over the world e-mailing her about birth control, pregnancy, exposures to the unexpected, stressful situations. She is supportive and responsive.
She is a specialist in Cervical pathology certified by the ASCCP to help you with abnormal Pap results, understanding Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) results and prevention. She is also an expert in Colposcopy and LEEP procedures, if indicated. She deals with many patients who have Chronic or Subacute Vulvitis.
She also is an advocate for those seeking un medicated vaginal births, Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC), with supportive childbirth educators from Providence Tarzana, many local midwives, Hypnotherapists, and the Doula Association of Southern California (DASC). If you need a cesarean delivery, she will perform it. She takes pride that her incisions are subcuticular and sealed with glue to allow no bandages and a quick return to showering post operatively. She also performs external cephalic version, which is a procedure to turn a baby from Breech to head down, allowing a vaginal birth. In addition, for those with a history of incompetent cervix, she performs Shirodkar Cerclage and for those in need of a rescue cerclage, she performs a MacDonalds or Modified Shirodkar to keep you pregnant. She works closely with many Perinatologists (pop up definition and referral) from across the country to locals.
GYNECOLOGIC surgical Procedures we perform
- Prevention of hysterectomy with Operative Hysteroscopy. My current favorite device is the Myosure Device (I plan to upload one of my videos soon).
- Endometrial Ablation. I have been performing endometrial ablations since 1993. I have performed multiple techniques not limited to rollerball, Cryoablation, Thermablation, and finally fell in love with the Novasure device because it works so beautifully and makes your post operative life wonderful. 100 percent patient satisfaction is hard to beat. Your heavy periods that disrupt your meetings, your kids ballgames, and ruin your clothes are over. White pants again, really?! Yes!!
- Vaginal Hysterectomy. This is the first minimally-invasive surgery invented and remains an absolutely effective surgery to make for a short, quick, definitive treatment for fibroids, adenomyosis, or your troublesome uterus. Home in one day.
- Laparoscopically assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy. This procedure allows visualization of your abdomen as well as additional surgery, such as risk-reducing salpingectomy to decrease your risk of ovarian cancer without removing your ovaries. In addition, you can remove your ovaries, or cysts on your ovaries with this procedure.
- Laparoscopic bilateral risk-reducing salpingectomy. Reduces your risk of ovarian cancer. Since we now know that ovarian cancer originates in the Fallopian Tube, it makes sense that removing the Fallopian tubes but NOT the ovaries in a woman who still benefits from her own natural ovarian hormones would decrease the risk. Even if you are not a Breast Cancer Gene Carrier, or Lynch Syndrome Carrier, removing the Fallopian tube may decrease your risk of ovarian cancer by removing the origin of most ovarian cancer tumors.
- Laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy. When women need surgical intervention to remove an ovarian cyst, it can frequently be done through a laparoscope to make for a simple out-patient experience with minimal time lost from work or Mom life.
- LeForte procedure. This essentially closes the vagina. Usually used when the uterus is falling out or the vagina is falling out and you are no longer interested in vaginal intercourse. When you are elderly or simply not a good candidate for Major surgery this procedure is quick, like less than 30 minutes, and extremely effective.
- Vulvar and Vaginal reconstruction.After childbirth or trauma, sometimes you just want to look better. That's ok. I do not use mesh. I am looking into a procedure called Femi-Lift and comparing it to the Mona Lisa. While these are considered Plastic surgery and cosmetic only. Many patients seeking these treatments have real issues such as leaking urine on a trampoline, leaking urine when they run even if it's just with their kids!
- Cesarean section.Many women and their partners ask me, if I need a cesarean, do you do it?
- Yes, I am a board certified surgeon as a member of the American Congress of Obstetrics & Gynecology. I close my cesareans with a clean suture that resorbs and cover it with glue so you can be up and about and showering as soon as you're able.
- Vulvar lesion removal. Skin lesions grow everywhere, including here. All specimens are sent to pathology for evaluation because not all skin lesions are benign.
- Bartholins Gland treatment.This, at times, very painful condition is best treated by an experienced professional.
- Intrauterine device Insertion (IUD) and Removal. FDA approved devices to prevent pregnancy and control heavy bleeding. All insertions are verified with a transvaginal ultrasound to check proper placement. My husband likes to call it my cheat machine, I call it peace of mind for you.
- Treatment Endometriosis.